Heat-up with this scrumptious and Creamy Ham and Potato Soup – a hearty consolation meals favourite that’s creamy with out the cream due to a bit of trick. This ham and potato soup recipe will shortly grow to be a household favourite and it’s a good way to make use of up leftover ham.
This put up was initially revealed on November twenty ninth, 2016. Up to date on November twentieth, 2020
Heat-up with a Large Bowl of Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
When the climate turns chilly we flip to an enormous hearty bowl of soup. Making soup is the epitome of chilly climate. It’s simple to make and all the time leaves you happy after having fun with an enormous bowl of heat deliciousness. And this creamy ham and potato soup recipe is considered one of our all-time favourite soups to take pleasure in on a chilly winter day. With large chunks of ham, gentle potatoes, diced carrots, and the ever scrumptious and wholesome kale come collectively for an unforgettable bowl of soup.
Do you could have leftover ham to make use of up? In case you made our Orange Glazed Ham for a vacation gathering, you’ll have leftovers of the scrumptious and juicy ham slices. This is a superb recipe to make use of up leftovers and eradicate meals waste. Chop these leftover ham slices into bite-size items and watch them rework right into a mouthwatering hearty soup.
This put up comprises affiliate hyperlinks that gained’t change your worth however will share some fee.
Substances for Dairy-Free Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
- Cooking fats of selection – We like to make use of avocado oil or olive oil
- Yellow onion – May also use white onion
- Leek – Use the white and light-weight inexperienced half solely. Might substitute 3-4 inexperienced onions as an alternative.
- Pink potatoes – Might substitute Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes
- Rooster Broth – Homemade or store-bought. We advocate utilizing low-sodium broth so as to regulate the salt to style.
- Dried Thyme
- Cooked ham – Use ham without added sugar to make the recipe Whole30-friendly
- Kale – Might substitute spinach or one other hearty inexperienced
- Salt & Pepper
- Pink Pepper Flakes – Elective
make Ham and Potato Soup
First step: Place a Dutch oven or massive pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium warmth and add the fats or oil of selection. When melted, add the onion, carrot, celery, and leeks. Saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring often till the onions begin to soften.
Second step: Add the garlic and stir, cook dinner for a further 30 seconds.
Third step: Add the potatoes, broth, and thyme. Deliver the soup to a boil, then scale back the warmth to low, cowl, and simmer till the potatoes and carrots are tender – about half-hour, relying on how massive the items of potatoes are and the way vigorous the simmer.
Fourth step: When the greens are tender, insert an immersion blender into the soup on one facet of the Dutch oven (or massive pot), and course of till creamy. Stir to combine the half you simply pureed into the opposite half of the soup. In case you don’t have an immersion blender you may switch half of the soup to a blender or meals processor and mix till creamy.
Final step: Add the diced ham and kale and proceed to warmth till the ham is heat and the kale is wilted. Style and season with salt and pepper. Serve.
retailer Ham Potato Soup
Retailer any leftover ham potato soup in a coated container within the fridge for as much as 4 days or place utterly cooled soup in a freezer-friendly container and freeze (see under for extra).
Inventory Your freezer with a Wholesome Soup
Have you ever discovered your self in the midst of the week fighting dinner creation? We perceive and we now have an answer! After we make our soup recipes we make a double batch and freeze half of it to take pleasure in on these busy nights when take-out sounds so tempting. Protecting a wholesome batch of ham potato soup within the freezer is a good way to take pleasure in a wholesome meal in beneath quarter-hour.
After making this dutch oven ham and potato soup, let it cool utterly, then switch it to a freezer-friendly container like this one or these half-gallon reusable silicone bags and freeze. The soup could be frozen for as much as 3 months.
Extra Freezer-Pleasant Soup Recipes to Make
Thaw and Reheat Ham and Potato Soup
To thaw the soup, merely take away the container of frozen ham and potato soup from the freezer and empty the contents into a big saucepan or Dutch oven. Cowl the saucepan with an inventory and over medium-low start to heat the soup stirring often to make sure it doesn’t burn. Proceed to warmth till the soup is scorching sufficient to take pleasure in, about 15-20 minutes.
Or take away the container of frozen soup and place it within the fridge in a single day to slowly thaw. The subsequent day whenever you’re able to serve the soup, place the thawed soup right into a saucepan and warmth over medium-low warmth.
Different Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- 1 Tbsp. cooking fats of selection (equivalent to ghee, avocado oil or olive oil)
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 massive leek, white and light-weight inexperienced half solely, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 cups pink potatoes, skin-on, ½-inch cube
- 4 cups rooster broth (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 8 oz. cooked ham, ¼-inch cube
- 2 cups kale, tightly packed, torn into small items (about ½ bunch)
- ½ tsp. sea salt or to style
- ¼ tsp. black pepper or to style
- Pink pepper flakes, optionally available
- Place a Dutch oven or different massive pot with a lid over medium warmth. Add fats/oil and when melted, add onion, carrot, celery, and leeks. Saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring often till onions begin to soften.
- Add garlic, stir and cook dinner a further 30 seconds.
- Add potatoes, broth, and thyme. Deliver soup simply to a boil then scale back warmth, cowl and simmer till potatoes and carrots are tender – about half-hour, relying on how massive they’re and the way vigorous the simmer.
- When greens are tender, insert an immersion blender into the soup on one facet of the pot and course of till creamy. Stir to combine the half you simply pureed into the opposite half of the soup (you may as well take away ½ of the soup and course of it in a blender or meals processor then return it to the pan).
- Add diced ham and kale proceed to warmth till ham is heat and kale is wilted. Style and season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve.
- Serving Measurement: 1/fifth recipe
- Energy: 322
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 775mg
- Fats: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 19g
Pin now to make later!
All photographs and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our photographs with out prior written permission. In case you want to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your personal distinctive phrases and hyperlink again to the supply recipe right here on The Actual Meals Dietitians. Thanks!
Photograph Credit score: The photographs on this weblog put up have been taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.