One factor this jogged my memory of is a lovely gesture Eli’s brother facilitated a yr earlier than Jeff handed away. He despatched their dad an e mail asking him for an inventory of his favourite songs. Jeff responded with a big record. Little did they know, this playlist could be change into the soundtrack to a few of their final days collectively.
I’ve at all times been in awe of the expertise and connection this easy exercise created for his or her household. In case your dad and mom are nonetheless round, I might extremely encourage you to ship a quite simple e mail to your dad and mom with one query:
“Are you able to ship me an inventory of your all-time favourite songs?”
After they reply, put them on a playlist, and also you’ll at all times be capable of keep in mind them by way of the music that scored their life.
After coming dwelling from Burning Man this yr, I despatched my mother a one-line e mail with that query. She replied inside half-hour, telling me that she was so excited to do it. Her response:
Completely I can ship you an inventory. What enjoyable.
1. James Taylor, “Secret of Life”
2. Colin Hay, “Ready for My Actual Life to Start”
3. Brothers Cazimero, “Residence within the Islands”
4. Brother Iz, “Someplace Over the Rainbow”
5. Dave Brubeck, “Take 5”
6. Debussy, “Claire d’Lune”
7. Billy Joel, “And So it Goes”
8. Eva Cassidy, “Fields of Gold”
9. Kenny Rankin, “Oh So Peaceable Right here”
10. The Beatles, “Blackbird”
11. Diana Krall, “s’Fantastic”
12. Chicago, “Does Anyone Actually Know What Time It Is”
13. Celine Dion and Josh Groban, “The Prayer”
14. Kenny Loggins, “Rejoice Me Residence”
15. John Legend, “Strange Folks”
16. Cat Stevens, “Morning Has Damaged”
17. Christopher Cross, “Crusing”
18. Spinners, “I will be Round”
19. Commodores, “Sail On”
20. Loggins and Messina, “Danny’s Tune”
21. Amy Hanaiali’i Glliom, “Oh, What a Lovely Morning”
22. King Harvest, “Dancing within the Moonlight”
23. Queen, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
24. Tony Bennett, “If I Dominated the World”
25. Bruno Mars, “Uptown Funk”
26. America, “Ventura Freeway”
27. Stevie Marvel, “Overjoyed”
28. KD Lang, “Hallelujah”
29. Lin Manuel Miranda, “This Is My Shot”
30. Inexperienced Day, “I Hope You Had the Time of Your Life”
Thanks for asking this Andrew.
That is like happening Reminiscence Row.
Every of those songs has a narrative to it—a time and place in my life that has private which means.
The lyrics specific what I believe is vital—or a time of my life I need to honor and keep in mind—or are in alignment with my values and look at of life and the way I need to present up.
Or some, like Uptown Funk are simply enjoyable and get me up on my ft and transferring.
Love you—what’s this for?
You by no means understand how a lot time you will have left together with your dad and mom. Do that train, and you’ll protect part of their spirit that may reside on lengthy after they’re gone. One e mail, one sentence.
P.S. My mother undoubtedly forgot to place Enya’s “Sail Away” on her record. That factor was on blast each morning for about 4 years once I was a child.